- 1 medium butternut squash, seeded and peeled, cubed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, with juices
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth/stock
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the butternut squash with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until fragrant. Next, add the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and oregano.
- Add the ground chicken to the pot and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Cook, breaking it into smaller pieces.
- When cooked through add the bell peppers, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and broth. Stir and bring
- to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the black beans, kidney beans and the butternut squash. Bring the chili back to a simmer and cover for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt and
- Serve and enjoy.
- If serving at a later date, cover and store in the fridge or place in a freezer zipper top storage bag once cooled.
*To reduce sodium when using canned foods, drain and rinse beans for 1 minute under running water before using.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: dinner, chili, soup, stew, gluten free, grain free, dairy free
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 20 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg