Lightened up Double Chocolate Muffins with a dose of veggies hidden inside!
- 1 cup gluten free 1:1 flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup carrot puree*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place paper bake cups in 12 standard sized muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, almond flour, maple syrup, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the carrot puree, almond milk, egg and espresso powder.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 of the way to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are firm.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
* I made my own carrot puree by steaming about 3/4 cup carrots and then blending them in the food processor with a small amount of water until the consistency was comparable to baby food.
- Category: muffin, breakfast, gluten free, dairy free, low fodmap, chocolate
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 68 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Protein: 3 g