These Fajita Burrito Bowls are packed with roasted chicken, roasted vegetables, a flavorful kale salad, and seasoned carrots. It’s a quick and easy week night meal option and I promise, no one will miss the tortilla!
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 zucchini, cut into long strips
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/8 tsp salt, divided (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp dried chives, divided
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, divided
- 2 loosely packed cups of Tuscan kale
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 jalapeño, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 1/4 – 1/2 avocado, optional (sliced into chunks as and used as a garnish or blended with lime juice to make a creamy “sauce”)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the vegetables: toss the zucchini and the bell pepper with a pinch of salt, 1/2 Tbsp dried chives, 1/8 tsp chipotle powder, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, and 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes (wait until the chicken is ready to put in the oven and these two items can cook together).
- For the chicken: Place the chicken breast in a glass baking dish and fill it with about an inch of water (the water should come an inch up the side of the pan). Sprinkle the chicken with a punch of salt, 1 tsp dried chives, 1/8 tsp chipotle powder, and 1/4 tsp smoked paprika. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- For the kale salad: While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, toss the kale with lime juice, 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, jalapeño, 1 tsp of cumin, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- For the carrot salad: While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, toss the shredded carrots with 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp chives. Set aside.
- When the chicken and vegetables are ready, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then divide the vegetables, chicken, kale, and carrots between two bowls. Garnish with avocado if desired.
This meal is considered low FODMAP if only 1/8 of the avocado is consumed with the meal. The avocado can be omitted completely if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: dinner, bowl, low FODMAP, dairy free, grain free, gluten free
- Cuisine: Mexican