Homemade Unsweetened Applesauce is an incredibly easy recipe to make. Once you’ve made homemade applesauce, I don’t think you’ll ever reach for the store-bought version again. This recipe is very simple, absolutely delicious (no sweetener needed!) and the perfect way to use apples after a day at the orchard.
4 peeled and cored apples (small to medium)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cinnamon to taste, optional
- Peel the apples with a vegetable peeler, then core them and cut into large chunks.
- Once the apples are ready, place water in a large sauce pan on high heat and cover with a lid. When the water is boiling, add the apples and lemon juice and set a timer for 5 minutes. The apples will be done when they are tender and slide right of a fork when pierced.
- Place the apples and cooking liquid in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until you have your desired consistency. Blend longer for a super creamy applesauce.
- You can add a little cinnamon to taste and blend it into the applesauce if you want, or you can enjoy it plain.
- Store the applesauce in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week, or store in the freezer.
This recipe is not considered low FODMAP.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: fall
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup applesauce
- Calories: 80.8
- Sugar: 16.1 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 0 g
Keywords: applesauce, apples, homemade, fall recipes, fall baking, apple recipes
Leave a comment
I always enjoy simple recipes like this one! In my family we love apple sauce just for dessert with a little whipped cream and a cookie – instant crumble!
I am so glad that the thought of peeling and coring so many apples makes someone else nervous, too. I have never been good with peeling ANYTHING.
The veggie peeler really helped!
I LOVE homemade apple sauce! I will have to try the lemon juice next time!
I am in love with it too! So glad I tried it!
Love making homemade applesauce – especially with cinnamon. I actually just had my own homemade applesauce a few minutes go.. topped with apple peanut butter oatmeal =)
Yum! That sounds so good! Ill have to mix mine with oats tomorrow 🙂