Lift your brain fog with these lentil brownies. Lentils, coffee and cocoa powder are power foods that will help increase your mental clarity!
- ½ cup oil (can sub with 1/2 cup applesauce or use ¼ cup applesauce and ¼ cup oil)*
- ½ cup cooked lentils (red or green work well)**
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy free if necessary)**
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cane sugar or maple syrup
- ¾ cup all purpose flour (can sub gluten free 1:1 blend if necessary)****
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spritz a 9.5×11 baking dish with your favorite non-stick cooking spray.
- In a food processor fitted with a sharp s-blade, process the oil (or applesauce if using), lentils and cocoa powder.
- Melt ½ cup of chocolate chips and add to the lentil mixture in the food processor. Pulse a few times. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla and sugar.
- Stir the warm chocolate lentil mixture into the egg mixture.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour this into the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top if you want.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until the brownies are firm in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting into 20-24 squares.
*applesauce is not low FODMAP, use cooking oil if completing the low FODMAP elimination diet.
**1/4 cup of boiled lentils is considered low FODMAP, this serving is well below the safe limit.
***Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips do not contain dairy or gluten and may work for people following the low FODMAP elimination diet.
****Gluten free flour is necessary for the low FODMAP elimination diet.
This recipe has not been tested for FODMAP content, but ingredients are used in amounts compliant with the Monash University App and guidelines. Please eat the foods that make you feel your best!
- Category: Dessert, baked good, gluten free, dairy free
- Cuisine: American