Hearty root vegetables, plantains, and the slightest hint of heat from jalapeño make for a Plantain Root Vegetable Hash fit for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner!
- 1 plantain, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, washed and grated*
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp chives
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Serve with one egg poached, hard boiled, scrambled, or enjoy the hash all on its own!
- In a large skillet, heat a half table spoon of oil and cook the bell pepper and jalapeño until soft. Remove from the skillet and set to the side.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet, then add the plantain, grated sweet potato, turnip, and rutabaga. Season with chives, salt and pepper. Saute and stir occasionally until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Add the cooked bell pepper and jalapeno back to the skillet and cook for another minute or two until the entire dish is warmed through.
- Serve with an egg or all on its own.
*This nutrition is calculated without the addition of the egg
**Sweet potatoes are considered low FODMAP 1/2 cup or less is consumed. This recipe should fit the requirements outlined for a low FODMAP dish provided by Monash University.
This recipe has not been tested for FODMAP content, but ingredients are used in amounts compliant with the Monash University App and guidelines. Please eat the foods that make you feel your best!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, low fodmap, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe without egg
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Protein: 3 g
Leave a comment
The instructions for this seem incomplete, do all the vegetables just get added to the skillet at one time?
So sorry about that! Not sure what went wrong, but I updated the recipe with the rest of the instructions. Thanks for asking!
This looks fabulous and I’m all about that little bit of heat! When it comes to breakfast, I prefer savory and my hubby prefers sweet, so we cover both bases and share 🙂
Love that you get the best of both worlds by sharing with your husband 🙂
i have a giant box of root vegetable needing to be used. this came at a perfect time. thank you!
Dixya, you totally need to use up those root veggies with this hash. You’ll be glad you did 🙂
Love Love Love this! I’m doing a roundup later next week on hashes for Shape and NEED this in the line up! 🙂 And I’m a mix of sweet and savory for breakfast…both?!
Thanks, Liz!! Please use this in the article (and give credit 😉 ) if possible 🙂 Also, let me know if you give this a try!! I’m obsessed with sweet and savory breakfast!
I love rutabaga! This looks perfect for Fall, and a Thanksgiving dish.
LOVE rutabaga too. I feel like it’s so underused 🙂