Adding carrots and zucchini to a bowl of morning oats not only packs in a boost of nutrition first thing in the morning but gives you all the flavors of “morning glory muffins” when you add in a touch of orange zest, walnuts, and coconut. This bowl of subtly sweet oats are hearty enough to keep you full until your midday meal!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup light coconut milk (I used SO Delicious recipe ready culinary version)
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or preferred sweetener)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Bring water and coconut milk to a boil.
- Add the oats, carrots, zucchini, spices, and salt. Bring to a boil, the cover and turn the heat to low.
- Cook without stirring the oats until thick, for about 10-15 minutes. Check the texture after 10 minutes and continue to cook until desired thickness.
- Remove oats from heat and stir in the coconut, orange zest, vanilla, and sweetener. (You may want to sweeten to taste. Brian preferred a sweeter bowl of oats than me!)
- Cover the oats and allow to set 2-3 minutes prior to serving.
- Top with walnuts, additional coconut and any other toppings before serving.
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: low FODMAP, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free