This Wild Blueberry Sweet and Savory Stuffing puts a fun twist on a classic Thanksgiving dish. Serve with all the holiday fixings or make as a fun weekday side dish.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 lb kabocha squash, cubed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups Wild Blueberries
- 6 cups sourdough or gluten free bread*, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable stock or broth
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with 1 tsp (or spray) of the coconut oil. Grease a 15 by 12 inch piece of foil with Olive oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the carrots, parsnips, chives, kobocha squash, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the thyme, and nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, toss together the bread cubes and eggs until coated. Add the vegetable mixture and toss to coat with the wild blueberries.
- Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish and dollop the remaining coconut oil on top. Pour the vegetable stock over the top and cover the baking dish with foil, oil side down.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is slightly crisp and brown in spots, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- Let the stuffing rest 10 to 15 minutes.
*Sourdough bread is considered to be low FODMAP according to the Monash University app. You can also use gluten free bread or your favorite bread if you prefer.
This recipe has not been tested for FODMAP content, but ingredients are used in amounts compliant with the Monash University App and guidelines. Please eat the foods that make you feel your best!
- Category: Thanksgiving, low FODMAP, holiday, side dish
- Serving Size: 1/10
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 289 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Protein: 5 g