Making homemade pumpkin puree is extremely simple! This is my preferred method for making pumpkin puree because it makes cutting the hard winter squash very easy.
1 small pie pumpkin
Water, adjust as needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place the WHOLE pumpkin on a parchment or silicone baking mat (affiliate link) lined baking sheet. Poke several holes in the exterior of the pumpkin with a fork.
- Roast the pumpkin at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until the pumpkin is very soft. You should easily be able to stab through the pumpkin with a fork when it is done.
- Allow the pumpkin to cool enough for you to handle it (maybe 5-10 minutes), then place on a cutting board and cut the pumpkin in half. Scoop the seeds out of the center but leave the “meat” of the pumpkin. You can reserve the seeds for roasting or compost them.
- Scoop the “meat” out of the pumpkin and place into a blender or food processor.
- Blend the pumpkin until smooth adding small amounts of water as necessary. (I usually do not have to add any water.)
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for 4-6 days or in the freezer for about 3 months.
This recipe has not been tested for FODMAP content, but canned pumpkin is low FODMAP in a 1/3 cup serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: fall
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Keywords: fall, pumpkin, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin puree, healthy fall recipes, how to, gluten free, vegetarian,