Creamy, slightly spicy, and absolutely irresistible. This Peanut Stew has become a cold-weather staple in our house!
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or 1 spritz with a misto sprayer)
- 3 Tbsp chives (fresh or freeze-dried)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced*
- 1 sweet potato, washed and diced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter**
- 4 cups vegetable broth, I prefer homemade***
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 15 oz can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed****
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach or kale leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the chives, bell pepper, jalapeno, sweet potato and tomatoes with juice. Increase the heat to medium high and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Add the salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter and 1 cup of the vegetable broth (watch splashing over the sides!). Stir until creamy and smooth.
- Add the peanut butter broth mixture, the remaining broth, smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne to the tomato mixture on the stove.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low to simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sweet potatoes should fall off the fork when pierced.
- Remove the lid and add the drained chickpeas to the soup mixture and add the dark leafy greens. Stir until the greens are wilted.
*You can omit the jalapeno and cayenne to reduce the heat of this dish.
**I prefer a natural peanut butter with just peanuts or peanuts and salt as the ingredients.
***FODY Foods Vegetable Soup Base works here too.
****To reduce sodium content in this dish, rinse chickpeas for at least 1 minute and purchase low sodium/no salt added canned goods/broth.
Adapted from Oh She Glows Cookbook
This recipe has not been tested for FODMAP content, but ingredients are used in low FODMAP amounts according to the Monash University app.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: soup, stew, low FODMAP, gluten free, grain free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy free
- Cuisine: African
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 861 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 8 g
Leave a comment
Tara! I rarely cook with a recipe but I chose to today—and it was well worth it! This stew is outrageously good.
I’m so glad to hear that! Thank you for cooking this recipe 🙂
I love peanut anything, so this is going to have to be a must try!
OMG I’m such a peanut lover too!! 🙂
I’ve always been intimidated by stews because of the long ingredient list, but after reading through this looks really easy! I love everything peanut butter
You could totally make this Becca!! 🙂 It’s so flavorful and really not a ton of work besides chopping!